With summer now finally here, you're probably excited to dust off that patio furniture and invite some friends over for drinks and BBQ in the sun! One of my favourite summer drinks to serve when entertaining friends is this Indian inspired lemonade that is made with mint and ginger. It's so delicious and really easy to make. It's light, refreshing and not too sweet. My guests always love it! Here's how you make it:
1. First, separate the mint leaves from the stems and chop up the leaves.
2. Now peel and chop the ginger. An easy way to peel the ginger is with a spoon.
3. Add the chopped mint and ginger to a heat safe mixing bowl along with the honey. Honey naturally hardens over time, so you can place a glass jar of honey on your stove on a low heat so that it melts a bit and is much easier to pour.
4. Add the boiling water. Stir the mixture and then let it steep for about 30 minutes.
5. While you're waiting, start juicing the lemons. I have this amazing automatic citrus juicer from Krups. I really love it. But any type of juicer will work!
6. Once your ginger, mint and honey mixture is done steeping strain it.
7. Make sure to squeeze out all that flavourful liquid.
8. In a carafe or jug, add the strained liquid, the lemon juice and the cold water and stir.
9. Serve in a mason jar or tall glass. Add some mint leave for garnish. And if you have Jaswant's Kitchen Raita Salt, add a sprinkle of that as well. In India, it's common to add salt to lemonade or juice to replace some of the electrolytes lost in all that heat. It also happens to taste great! So try it out if you have some at home.
* For adults, you can add a bit of vodka or gin if you're in the mood for a cocktail.
Here's our video tutorial if you'd like to see all the action:
Let us know what you think by commenting below!
Haven't tried our Jaswant's Kitchen Spice Blends yet? Go ahead, order our Indian Cooking Starter Kit. We're so confident you'll love it, we'll give your money back if you're unhappy for any reason.